Thursday, August 17, 2006

Post #3

My mute page inspires nothing, it is, in fact, less than a journal because I cannot touch it and I can edit it without leaving any trace. Nothing is holy therefore, nothing is unadultered. It is really fabrication. And yet such ought perhaps to provoke a smile; a mirror sterilized so much to become refuse, reflects refuse sterilized to be a mirror. Which is correct; I believe firmly that to mirror our American Life we must indeed sterilize some refuse and then present it at the gallery. But at the same time incorrect because, when a certain point has been reached, with imagery: a high-water mark, language disintegrates into a mere collection of unrelated and diffuse meanings. By language I mean simply the sentence. A sentence can, of course, be constructed to mean just about anything. But when a sentence is constructed (grammatically correct) to mean nothing, it takes on a life of its own, spreads its literary wings by its own volition, and soars into Heaven. It becomes, in short, perfect. And it becomes perfectly meaningful. Which means that it must also bear that burden in common to all perfection, namely meaninglessness. And this sounds stupid, except it is very funny because the sentence was initially constructed to mean nothing anyway. An artist of nonsense thereby accomplishes his own goal: he is simultaenously an artist and a buffoon.

I am not a Nonsense-artist. But if I were, to say that "a mirror sterilized so much to become refuse, reflects refuse sterilized to be a mirror", could really mean any number of things. But I am more concrete, I believe in concreteness. So, what is actually meant, is that blogs reflect today's american way, and I was simply commenting thereupon.

And so consider this my circumcision: I have spoken now about blogs through the medium of a blog. I am therefore a blogger. And my covenant--to the American Life! Next time we'll discourse on its prescriptions.

No comments: